APRN Midwest Conference: REIMAGINED
The Illinois Society for Advanced Practicing Nurses will hold the APRN Midwest Conference from Thursday, October 22, 2020 until Friday, October 23, 2020. This annual education event is the largest of its kind in the State of Illinois. The 2020 conference features live and pre-recorded sessions, 30+ CEs and—because we know our nurses are out there doing amazing work on the front lines of COVID-19—is offered this year to members at the discounted rate of just $95.
APRN Midwest Conference Thursday Schedule
The conference will begin on Thursday at 9:00 AM with keynote speaker Carolyn Buppert, a healthcare attorney. In addition to being the author of nine books, Ms. Buppert is a frequent contributor to various health care publications. She is on Medscape’s panel of experts and writes a “Legal Limits” column for The Journal for Nurse Practitioners. She also lectures extensively on a variety of medical-legal issues. Ms. Buppert’s keynote address is titled “Business Practices & Legal Issues - What you should know.”
Thursday will conclude with a panel presentation at 12:15 PM titled “COVID Pandemic and the APRN Lived Experience.” The discussion will center around the changes and challenges that have resulted from the pandemic.
APRN Midwest Conference Friday Schedule
The conference will reconvene at 9:00 AM Friday morning with back-to-back sessions titled “ISAPN Update” and “Springfield Update.” The “ISAPN Update” will be conducted by ISAPN President Ricki Loar and ISAPN Treasurer Maria Jefferson and will consist of a general report, a presentation of the new board, and announcements of the 2020 award winners and 50/50 raffle winners.
The “Springfield Update” will be conducted by Capitol Edge Consulting, a woman-owned lobbying firm that focuses on healthcare policy and practice. The firm will provide insight into how 2020 legislation impacted advanced practice registered nurses and will also offer a sneak peek into what 2021 will bring.
After lunch, the conference will conclude with a continuing medical education activity titled “Evidence-based Pain Management: Addressing the Growing Role of Nurse Practitioners and Physician Assistants in Managing Patients with Acute and Chronic Pain.” The activity will help nurses use pain-assessment tools for patient evaluation, improve their familiarity with the FDA Blueprint guidelines for treatment selection, and understand when to use opioid alternatives. The CME will be presented by USF Health and Rockpointe in collaboration with the National Council for Behavioral Health.
On-Demand Session List
The conference will feature a robust list of On-Demand sessions, including:
- Case-Based Review: Sepsis management and ventilator basics for respiratory failure - Rose Milano DNP, APRN, ACNP-BC
- Primary Prevention of Atherosclerotic Cardiovascular Disease: A Review of the ACC/ AHA 2019 Guidelines for Advanced Practice Nurses - Manisa Baker DNP, APRN, RN, CCNS, CCRN-K
- Help, My Girly Bits Are Not Behaving - Mary Barton APRN GCNS-BC ANP-BC
- Management of Sports-Related Concussion: A Case Review Series - Erik Beltran MD, MS
- Innovations in Stroke - Shakeel Chowdhry MD
- Atrial Fibrillation - Carolyn Dickens Ph.D., APRN, ACNP-BC
- Principles of Conservative Prescribing - Carolyn Dickens Ph.D., APRN, ACNP-BC
- Examine Current Healthcare Climate and Potential Barriers as They Relate to Independent Practice - Christopher Galloway DNP, APRN-FPA, FNP-BC, CME, MOT
- Rise in Prevalence of Food Allergy - Ellen Karlin MMSc, RDN, LDN, FADA
- The Nerve of Peripheral Neuropathy - Octavia Kincaid MD
- Innovations in Orthopedics - Jason Koh, MD
- What is the Current State of Maternity Care in 2020 and Beyond? - Debra Lowrance DNP, APRN-FPA, CNM, WHNP, IBCLC
- Intimate Partner Violence (IPV) - Mary McNamera DNP, APRN, FNP-BC
- Substance Use Disorder Nursing Education - Sara Miranda APRN
- Mind and Body: How Childhood Trauma Causes Adult Mental and Physical Illness - Caroline Onischak MSN APRN PMHNP-BC
- Managing Clinical Risks - Who Are We Sending Home? - Kayur Patel MD, FACP, FACPE, FACHE, FACEP
- QPP: Elevate Your Understanding and the Bottom Line - Lynn Rapsilber DNP, APRN, ANP-BC, FAANP
- Current Guidelines for Screening, Identification and Treatment of Obstructive Sleep Apnea (OSA) - Daria Ruffolo DNP, APRN, CCRN, ACNP-BC
- Medical Cannabis As A Safe And Effective Alternative To Opioids - Sayed Shah MD
- System Redesign to Improve Healthcare Delivery - Kathy Swartwout Ph.D., APRN, FNP BC
- EVALI (E-Cigarette or Vaping Related Lung Injury) - Kathryn Vanderzwan DNP, APRN-BC
APRN Midwest Conference Registration
Registration for the APRN Midwest Conference is open to members of the ISAPN and nonmembers alike! All who are interested can register here.